Enrollment at a Glance:
- Children with and without disabilities enroll with Siskin Early Learning Center much like any other private preschool. An applicant list is maintained for all children. Families often place a child on the waiting list before birth.
- Children with disabilities, siblings of already enrolled children and children of staff members are given priority in the enrollment process.
- Children with disabilities ages 3 to 6 are placed with the Learning Center through a contract with the Hamilton County Department of Education.
Fill out an enrollment application today!
Our Process for Enrollment
Typically Developing Children
Thanks to the quality preschool education provided by the Siskin Early Learning Center, the center receive a high number of enrollment applications for typically developing children.The center maintains an applicant list to determine enrollment in our education programs. It is important for families to understand how our applicant list works. Instead of determining enrollment based solely on when families apply, other factors also are considered:
- When an opening arises, our staff refers to the applicant list to find a child who is the appropriate age, beginning with the earliest applications submitted.
- Priority is given to children with disabilities, siblings of currently enrolled children and children of staff members.
- Preference is given to families who desire full-time placement.
Applicant lists are updated every semester. Parents are welcome to contact us with questions about the status of their child's enrollment. Please contact Chelsea Hixson or call 423.648.1768 to check on your child's status.
children with special needs in hamilton county
HCDE's Process for Enrollment
Children can be referred to HCDE’s Preschool Assessment Center by parents or professionals such as physicians, educators and therapists. An assessment will be completed to determine if he or she is eligible for services. If eligible, an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is developed to identify the appropriate services the child needs. A team of early childhood professionals with HCDE will determine the appropriate placement for the child. A preschool is chosen by the team based on the IEP.
- If one of the learning center is considered a proper placement — and if the center have an open spot for the child — the team will refer the child to one of the center. If the child’s family approves of the placement, the registration process will be completed.
For more information, visit the Hamilton County Department of Education Exceptional Education website or call the county's Preschool Assessment Center on West 40th Street at 423.209.5418.
Frequently Asked questions:
What types of disabilities does siskin children's institute specialize in?
Siskin Early Learning Center specialize in developmental and behavioral disabilities including autism, down syndrome, cerebral palsy, developmental delays and a variety of other conditions. Feel free to contact the Siskin Early Learning Center for more information.
Does Siskin Children's Institute accept ChildCare Certificates?
Yes. Siskin Children's Institute's Early Learning Center gladly accepts child care certificates. For information on how to obtain child care assistance, please contact:
Human Services Division of Hamilton County, Tennessee
Eastgate Town Center
5600 Brainerd Road, Suite 602-B
Chattanooga, TN 37411
Phone: (423) 634-6200
FIELD MANAGEMENT DIRECTOR 1 - Susan Bates –Services: Food Stamp; Families First; Child Care Certificate; Medicaid; and TennCare
Does Siskin CHildren's Institute accept part-time enrollments?
Yes. Part-time enrollments are accepted, but preference is given to full-time applicants.
Siskin Early Learning Center is funded through Siskin Children's Institute, and through contracts with the State of Tennessee and the Hamilton County Department of Education.
Siskin Children's Institute seeks to affirm the dignity and worth of every person. It is, therefore, the policy of the Institute to practice and ensure the fair and equitable treatment of all constituents with respect to race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, political belief, socio-economic status, age, gender, sexual orientation, or disability. The Institute promotes the full realization of this policy through all organizational practices including admission and participation in programs and services.