Lending Library Volunteer
Assist the librarian with a variety of functions to help the library run smoothly and efficiently.
You will enjoy this opportunity if you:
- Care about people and Siskin Children’s Institute
- Are committed to prompt, highest quality customer service
- Enjoy a variety of people
- Have a positive attitude and friendly personality
- Enjoy books and other resource material
- Are comfortable with using the technology associated computers (searches) and communication systems as appropriate
- Are reliable and responsible
- Are able to work independently
- Are able to accept supervision
- Are 18 or older
- Successfully complete TB screening and background check
The usual hours of service are:
- A minimum commitment of four hours per week
- Volunteer opportunities are available Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
This position provides opportunities for:
- Providing prompt, friendly greeting and assistance to families and guests to the library
- Whenever possible, providing accurate directions to guests seeking the location of various Institute departments
- Processing of books, which includes stamping, applying labels, attaching due-date slips and applying letters
- Providing assistance with circulation and shelving of library materials
- Entering new patrons into the information system
- Making copies and assembling information packets
- Laminating of book covers for books with paper covers
- Decorating both the school and community library for seasonal or monthly decorations and displays
- Helping manage overdue materials
The volunteer will:
- Receive an orientation from Volunteer Services to the Institute's purpose, functions and policies/procedures as related to the volunteer’s work at the Institute
- Receive training from the assigned supervisor to ensure that the volunteer is comfortable with the assigned duties and essential functions of this position.
Volunteer with the Institute!
Required fields indicated with *