Special EVENTS VOLUNTEER
Have you been considering volunteering with the Institute but you don’t have the time or schedule flexibility to volunteer on a regular basis? Becoming an on-call and event support volunteer just may be the type of volunteer opportunity you have been looking for. We are looking to build a pool of volunteers whom we can call on for special events and projects throughout the year.
Here’s how it works: We identify a need for volunteers (i.e. ushering at one of our programs, helping out at one of our fundraisers or special events, working on a playground clean-up day, assisting in stuffing envelopes or collating material, etc.) We put out the word with information on what you will doing and when and where the action is. You respond and sign-up for the project/event.
Then you just:
- SHOW up,
- SHOW results and
- SHOW a smile.
You put in a few hours helping out, earn our ongoing gratitude and get to feel the satisfaction of knowing you have helped serve children with special needs and their families.
You will enjoy this position if you:
- have a positive attitude and enjoy smiling,
- want to make a positive difference in a child’s life,
- are comfortable working with a diverse group of children and adults,
- are reliable and responsible and
- are able to accept supervision.
The usual hours of service are:
- a minimum commitment of one school year and sufficient time to make 2-3 volunteer visits a year and
- volunteer opportunities typically could be available weekdays and/or Saturdays for a period of 2-4 hours.
As a volunteer you will:
- arrive at the scheduled time of your visit,
- work as a team member with other volunteers and our staff to accomplish the work that needs to be done and
- clean up the activity areas as needed.
The volunteer will:
- receive an orientation to the Institute's purpose, functions and policies/procedures as related to the volunteer’s work at the Institute and
- receive training from the assigned supervisor to ensure that the volunteer is comfortable with the assigned duties and essential functions of this position.